Subheader

Football Chants & Supporters Culture From The Mouth Of The South

Monday 25 March 2013

R.E.M. - "The One I Love"

All right folks, time to share my earworm of the week.

I recently heard blast from the past on the radio that immediately implanted the seeds for a Whitecaps chant into the fertile soils of my brain. I don't know how I hadn't thought of this one sooner. It meets all of the necessary criteria for Monster-approved chants: 1) Simple. 2) Repetitive. 3) Recognizable. I hope you enjoy it.

Our inspiration comes all the way from 1987, a time when popular musical genres were bending and blending to such an extent that virtually any band that appealed to young people was called "alternative."  Such is the case of a little band from Athens, Georgia that made the leap from college radio to international superstardom.

No, it's not these guys...

  
It's these guys!




To the tune of "The One I Love" - R.E.M.


This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the team I stand behind
A simple song
To occupy my time
This one goes out to the blue and white

Now follow the verse above with this bit below... generally follow the tune of  the lead guitar part that kicks in at the 1:45 mark. 

Whoa! La-la-la-la!
Whoa! La-la-la-la!
Whoa! La-la-la-la!
La-la la-la laaaaa la!
This one goes out to the blue and white


PS: I'd like to apologize to all you kids out there under the age of 30 with confused looks on their faces. These little boxes in my blog... you know, the ones that play songs along with the weird art school film shit... these are called "music videos." Years ago we had these channels called MuchMusic and MTV, and they would show these "music videos" all day. There were no shows about daft teen moms, orange-skinned douchebags or big-bootied Kardashians. Just music... and only music.

Your generation sucks and will be remembered in history accordingly.  :p

Cheers,

@johnniemonster

No comments:

Post a Comment